Saturday 10 March 2018

Ruth



Ruth


I will grant you one wish, to use as you please
God said to me in a dream.
And I thought of a life of comfort and ease,
I could have, without having to scheme.

Then I pondered on that, and thought maybe not,
Money is not everything.
To be happy comes first, Good health means a lot,
Or free as a bird on the wing.

So just how should I use this gift that he gave,
How could I benefit most?
Should I ask for talent, or riches to save
Me from want, when youth was a ghost?

I thought and I thought, till my mind fairly spun,
I couldn't make up my mind.
When suddenly light dawned, as bright as the sun.
I knew what I wanted to find.

The wish I would ask, where I had most to gain,
Was simply just an encore.
My life with my true love all over again,
Exactly as it was before.

I realize that it could be but a dream,
But nevertheless it's true.
If I could choose once again for joy supreme,
I'd choose it to be with you.

Ed.

1936/1937

Note: Jennie's Introduction says some question remains as to whether this is an original piece or whether it is copied. If it is original there is a suggestion it was written sometime in the thirties.

All I'm saying, is that after a bit of an internet trawl I couldn't turn up anything the same, or that looked like it could be a source. So, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment